Adventures in making and raising our test-tube babies

Monday, May 5, 2008

Good Breeding

Familiarity may breed contempt, but family breeds more family. And that is a good thing. It's the way it should be.

I've always loved big families and wanted to be at the center of one. My goal for when I'm 95 is to be like my maternal grandmother, matriarch to a zillion, with a ton of pictures from decades and decades of children on the bulletin board in the hall.

In the last ten days, I have held and fed a relative's new baby, heard about the birth of another relative's baby, and learned that another relative is newly pregnant. And within a few weeks, I'll have another baby relative, of the family-friend variety. And I'm glad. I can't give my children all the cousins -- first, second, once-removed, twice-removed, step, in-law, and honorary -- that they deserve unless the rest of you keep procreating.

So keep doing what you're doing, you little bunnies, and thank you for treating me with kid (sigh) gloves.

No comments: