Adventures in making and raising our test-tube babies

Friday, June 6, 2008

Bunches of Eggs


Today we have a visual aid, which caught my eye this morning in the refrigerator. These grapes represent what's growing on my ovaries. At slightly under 2 cm in diameter, they're the target size we're going for. When the follicles get to look like this (except probably a different color, and without the stems), I'll get the shot that triggers the ovulation. That lets loose the eggs that are inside. Like the grape seeds, let's say, except microscopic. At the moment my follicles are about 1.2 to 1.5 cm, so it will still be another few days. At the beginning of next week we'll probably go to harvest.


Meanwhile, it's gotten a little uncomfortable on the inside of my belly. You can tell that there's something out of the ordinary going on in there. Just a little squished. On the outside I'm still contending with the injection sites where I get my three shots a day. One of those shots leaves welts; the other two just leave little bruises. Wearing a seatbelt is not fun. Not to mention a waistband, but you know how I feel about waistbands in general.


To protect my little eggs, I'm off caffeine, raw cheeses, alcohol, all those things you're not supposed to take when you're pregnant. I'm eating healthier things with vitamins and minerals. High anti-oxident content. Like dark fruits and vegetables. Grapes.


It's almost cannibalistic.


We do what we have to do.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Go Kay go!! Just be glad you're not growing bunches of watermelons on your ovaries...or cantaloupes. =) That's a good visual aid. It makes me realize just how big those follicles get.

Kay Bailey said...

I'd gladly exchange the grapes to swallow just one watermelon seed, though I'm not sure those really work.

DAVs said...

Yay for grape sized follies. I just KNOW one of them contains the egg...the you know the one that will happily join with Jame's sperm and form that perfect little embryo that will become your perfect little baby who will grow up to be the perfect mix of you two, natch. Hang in there, and to hell with waistbands!

familyoftwo98 said...

Interesting visual...I always got measurements in MM...so to think of them in CM and to realize just how big that is...thats almost freakishly scary!

Good luck to you!!!

Jennifer said...

Growing something the size of a small watermelon in your uterous would be fantastic! Growing something that big on your ovaries...not so good. Especially if you were growing 14 of them. You would look really weird.

Tracy said...

Woo hooo! I'm thinking good growth thoughts for all those follicles!