Adventures in making and raising our test-tube babies

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

In Eggshellsis Deo

The production of eggs is such a difficult thing that James has vowed to buy free range chicken eggs from now on. As he says, "The chickens have been through so much already. It's sad that they would also be in cages while their bodies are working so hard."

Like a good chicken, I produced a perfect dozen eggs yesterday. I pranced my bloated self into the operating room, and tried to complete my thought before the sedation took my brain. (Last time I think I was in the middle of a sentence about whether people snored in the operating room). They made me stand up, say, "Katherine Bailey," my social security number, and I added a "good night." Then I sat back down and conked out.

Twenty years later ... wait, I meant twenty minutes. Twenty minutes later I was back in the recovery room, trying to put my clothes on without the benefit of balance. James whisked me away to McDonalds and I was sleepy enough to not even get a shake. We got home, I downed my Big Mac, and I was off to dream land.

This morning I found myself looking out our bedroom window, through the thick summer foliage, to the school playground behind our house. With blurry, sideways eyes, I saw a series of colors parade by on the other side of the leaves. Blue, red, yellow, pink. They looked like Easter eggs. No, they were kids in t-shirts. Human kids. But every one had started out as an egg.

A people egg. Like mine. The kids all used to be eggs. That gives me hope.

This morning I got a call from the clinic and they told me that our 12 eggs rendered eight healthy embryos. Eight little babies. We'll monitor them and hopefully have a few nice-looking blastocysts to put back in by the end of the week.

That's something to dream about.

5 comments:

lovestoskip said...

That is GREAT news! I'm so excited for your 8 healthy embryos!! It would have been funny if you had said "good night" and then bwoked like a chicken.

Anonymous said...

WOW! 8!?!?! That is wonderful! I'm always so impressed with other women's egg making abilities...I only had 2. I've been thinking about you like crazy!

Stacy

DAVs said...

Yes! This is great news. I have confidence that your egg-->embryo-->baby-->toddler-->kid-->obnoxious teenager is well on its way. :)

Tracy said...

Eight. Eight is a good number. Here's hoping that one (or two or three) of those eight end up being a real live baby!

Laughing4Heir said...

Your husband sounds like a cool guy. I only ate free range eggs because I figured they were less full of toxins. But he's like truly humane!