Adventures in making and raising our test-tube babies

Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Other Part of the Journey

There is more to the journey toward the light at the end of the canal than just my emotions and physical changes. We also have to get our house in order. And that is not a metaphor.


For a very long time, this is what we have had in our guest room, the room that will become the buns' room.



  • Full-sized brass bed from my single days (and from my parents' married days before that) with a stunningly good mattress

  • A large Ikea dresser that was so heavy when I got it that I had to take apart the box in the trunk of my car and carry each board, one by one, to my first DC apartment. It has gone through three paint jobs and now has a purposefully splotchy part-colorful-part-white look that made my mom cry out, "Oh, what happened?" when she first saw it.

  • A LARGE filing cabinet, probably fire proof, the likes of which I dreamed of for a long time, holding old electric bills and transcripts and other stuff that I need quick access to.

  • An armoire from Ikea that makes up for the fact that there is no real closet in the room. (It has a door with access to the master bedroom closet, but we've hogged all the actual storage space therein). The babies currently have very good access to our winter shoes.

  • An Ikea "Robin"-style bookcase that is mostly full of law books. In particular, we have a stunning collection of 2004 Patent Bar Exam review materials. Anyone want them? Never opened...

  • Two prodigious piles of framed artwork that I removed from the stairway when we were getting our new mattress delivered. I never put them back up, so we have a very pretty nail collection on the stairway walls now. The art is in two and a half piles on the floor.

  • The beautiful Pottery Barn rug that I bought with my friend Leyla in New York in 1993. The cat has torn it up some, but it remains in tact in my heart. The function this rug now serves is to get bunched up from all the stuff placed on it and then moved, so that it makes large, trip-ready waves in the floor.

  • Two big, flat boxes that will render two baby cribs once assembled.

  • One Pack 'n' Play that my brother got from his neighbor. This "portable" crib and playpen is in a duffel bag with a few accessories piled on top of it. Not very stackable.

  • A laundry basket full of plastic coat hangers. Just 'cause.

  • Approximately seven clear plastic bins of my non-pregnant clothes, which should be transferred to the attic. The hold up on that is that the attic floor is covered with plywood on one side, and covered with no floor on the other side. When James saw it he declared that we were going to fix it before the babies came. Sigh. So the seven bins remain downstairs, capped off by the camping lantern we use whenever we venture into the attic.

  • Four red and green plastic bins that I've transferred our Christmas stuff into. That was a real splurge: I've always thought it was silly to have Christmas-colored storage boxes, but in an attic like ours, I've come around to thinking it is genius. So I have plopped one cardboard box, duly packed last year with Christmas decorations, into each bin. Those bins will be opened and used soon, but in the meantime, why not keep them in the babies' cave?

  • Two delightful bouncy seats that we received from our registry, each assembled and now holding a teddy bear. Those are perched on the bed.

  • A plastic bin full of baby and maternity stuff that my friend Julie gave me years ago, which I had to hide for a long time because they were too sad. That's now on the bed.

  • A weathered cardboard file box full of infant clothes that my brother and I wore as premies. Very polyester-heavy, with a few knitted items that may or may not disintegrate when worn.

  • An extra U-shaped "boppy" pillow from my parents-in-law-in-law (my bro's parents-in-law). Apparently my brother and sister-in-law had plenty of boppies, and us, we are going to need more than one.

So would you like to know whether the room is large enough to accommodate all the stuff that's in it? It's not.


Last evening while I was taking one of my many naps of the day, I heard some, well, activity on the stairs. My husband in shining armor was singlehandedly taking the armoire downstairs to the basement, which is to be the new guest room. It is not an activity that can be slept through. I am pleased and proud to say that the armoire is now safely two stories below us, albeit upside down, and required only minor podiatric repairs from its trip.


When I look at the huge gap that the armoire's absence leaves in the room, it makes me want to buy more furniture. Maybe a rocking chair?


4 comments:

lovestoskip said...

How how how how how did he get the armoire out? I'm assuming you took the picture from the doorway. If you didn't, then my question becomes how how how how how did you manage climbing over everything (while pregnant) to take the picture?

I have a couple of Ikea pieces. I'm mucho impressed that James was able to move anything from Ikea down two flights of stairs by himself!

Not Your Aunt Bea said...

Our baby room was in a similar condition. It was our "storage" room because it looked like a storage place you rent vs a real room in any way. It took forever to clean it out plus two garage sales. But now it is happily a girls room.

Laughing4Heir said...

I do not envy you your task!

Kay Bailey said...

Well, Skippy, we are magic around here. And we had moved the Christmas bins into another room temporarily.