Adventures in making and raising our test-tube babies

Friday, January 16, 2009

The Babies are Here!

This is the 100th blog post, and it happens to be the best. James and I are now a healthy, happy family of four with our two daughters. Everybody is doing really well.



We had the babies early Wednesday morning: 4:55 and 4:46 a.m. on January 14, 2009. Their names are Amanda June and Elisa Katherine (that's Baby A and Baby B, respectively). Their weights were somewhere around 4 lbs. 12 oz. and 3 lbs. 13 oz., but they were both within a quarter inch of 18 inches long. So we have one little skinny tall one and one bulkier skinny tall one. They were born at 33 weeks -- seven weeks ahead of what would have been full term, and three weeks ahead of what we were expecting as average for twins.



The girls are beautiful. They are expected to stay in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) for a few weeks as their premie bodies stabilize, but so far they are going gangbusters -- breathing and eating on their own. Amanda has dark hair and looks like James and Elisa has blonde hair and has my hands. Their cries sound like little sheep bleating. We have gotten to bottle feed them a couple times and I've spent some skin-on-skin time with each little one. I can't wait to rip those wires and tubes out and just snuggle up with them forever and ever.



The birth came along unexpectedly by C-section after my Tuesday afternoon doctor's appointment. Routine tests determined that I had preeclampsia, a dangerous disease caused by pregnancy that affects liver function. I was instructed to leave my doctor's office and march over to the labor and delivery unit and check myself in. So that is what I did. And the rest is history. I'll leave the scary emergency C-section anaesthesia and blood loss stories for those of you who really want to hear them. The upshot is that by the next morning, I was highly drugged, very sleepy, and a mom. I'm doing much, much better now.



James has been a trooper throughout, taking care of me and the babies in every way imaginable. I love him more than I ever thought possible, and I love how enamored he is of his daughters. We made a lot of extra love for the world this week. It feels fantastic to be in the middle of it.



Since we showed up at the hospital unexpectedly a few days ago, we weren't prepared with things like the cables that would download our pictures from camera to computer. So you'll have to wait for the photos. But we'll get them out as soon as we can. In the meantime, trust us: these little babies are the sun and the moon and the stars. They are love incarnate, and they are beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful.

9 comments:

lovestoskip said...

Oh I'm so happy for all 4 of you! Can't wait to see pictures. You're a mommy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAVs said...

WOW, I can't wait to see pictures! The names are super cute! I'm glad you survived and are doing well! You made it Kay--you crossed over to the other side!!!

Wendy said...

Oh, my!!! When I got home this evening Ashley informed me that a very nice lady from next door came over to let us know that the babies were here. I couldn't believe it. I guess that as soon as you get home James and his mom (?) and I will have to go into high gear to finish getting that room ready for the lovely little ladies. Can't wait to meet them!!!

Linda said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! How wonderful. Welcome Amanda and Elisa! That's two new singers you've got there. (And, maybe ukelele players too)

Love, Linda and Roy

Tracy said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

James & Kay, We are so happy for you both. Barbara McGinnis & Bill.

Lisa Clarke said...

I'm so happy for you both! Those are beautiful names you've chosen, too. Hope you can stock up on sleep for the next week or so while they're still at the hospital :-)

Laughing4Heir said...

This is what happens when I slack off: you have babies!!
Congratulations, felicidades and mazel tov! Holy cowabunga!

Not Your Aunt Bea said...

Congrats! For some reason my blogroll didn't update your blog and I missed it! Boo! But yay for you! I love the names. Congrats on your beautiful little family. Isn't it amazing? I never get over how miraculous babies are.