Adventures in making and raising our test-tube babies

Sunday, January 25, 2009

New Pictures






















The girls are still in the NICU, but today Elisa and Amanda topped 4 and 5 pounds, respectively. They are doing very well for their tiny sizes. They still have feeding tubes that go into their noses and down into their bellies -- but these are just for getting the formula down into them when they've gotten too sleepy to bottle feed any more. They are still connected with three wires to a machine that measures their heart rate, breathing rate, and amount of oxygen in their blood (whether they're breathing deeply or shallowly). But all their systems are working perfectly and they are healthy and happy little babies. When they gain enough weight to keep up their temperature on their own, and when they can eat all the formula they need without using the feeding tube, they will be able to come home. We estimate that to be in the second week of February.












In the meantime, I am resting at home most of the time. James and I go to the hospital between two and three times a day to help feed them, change their diapers, and coo at them. James has told them all they need to know (and more) about the inauguration and our system of government, football and the lead-up to the Super Bowl, and our families. I have sung them more songs than I remembered that I knew. James and I both are so in love with the girls that we are almost intolerable to others. It's hard to talk about anything other than our daughters. And we tend to repeat ourselves: "They're just so cute." "Can you believe how beautiful they are?"












I have much more to say on the subject, but less stamina than that would require. Suffice it to say that we are very, very happy. When I held both girls in my arms at once last night, for the first time, I told James that I would have paid $50,000 for that one evening. And to think we have them forever.












This is all I ever wanted.

4 comments:

DAVs said...

I'm so glad you got all you ever wanted! Completely and totally priceless.

Not Your Aunt Bea said...

They ARE SO CUTE! And beautiful. And perfect. And yours. Forever. I love the last photo. You are beaming.

Anonymous said...

They are so beautiful! I'm so happy for you!!

Starleneg

Sandy Little said...

Kay, I am almost speechless! The babies are absolutely gorgeous. I am so so so very happy for the 4 of you. I know that Robert would have been beaming as if they were his. He was like that about babies that belonged to people he loved. And he definitely cared about you. I will be praying that all goes well and that you get to bring them home very soon and coo all day! What lucky little girls to have such wonderful parents as the two of you!